Conduct a Satellite Symposium at APhA2014
Application Deadline is December 1, 2013
You'll find unparalleled access to pharmacists nationwide at the American Pharmacists Association (APhA) 2014 Annual Meeting & Exposition. More than 7,000 pharmacists and pharmacy professionals from every practice setting will gather at APhA2014 for 4 days of professional education, career enhancement, and networking. Take advantage of this unbeatable opportunity by providing a customized event to this key audience. Join APhA in Orlando, Florida, March 28-31, 2014, and conduct a satellite symposium!
Benefits of Conducting a Satellite Symposium at APhA2014
- Access more than 7,000 pharmacy professionals, including community, hospital, and managed care pharmacists; pharmaceutical scientists; student pharmacists; pharmacy technicians; and others interested in advancing the profession.
- Highlight your important patient care activities.
- Increase the visibility of your initiatives among practicing pharmacists and key decision makers.
APhA seeks satellite activities that focus on pharmaceutical care and contemporary pharmacy practice issues, including disease management, legal issues, professional development, pharmaceutical science, nuclear pharmacy, and basic patient care assessment skills.
Companies offering a satellite symposium must provide continuing pharmacy education (CPE) to all qualified participants who attend the activity. It is the sole responsibility of the sponsoring organization to provide or arrange for CPE credit by an organization accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE). APhA does not participate in or have responsibility for the development and planning of satellite symposia and is therefore unable to provide CPE credit for these activities.
Organizations requesting satellite symposia must have written confirmation that funding has been secured before submission to APhA.
Satellite symposia may include a meal.
Sponsoring organizations are responsible for the following functions:
- Establishing a direct-bill application with the meeting facility.
- Assuming the cost for advertising, audiovisual equipment rental, technicians, food and beverage, and any other expenses related to meeting management.
- Designing, printing, and distributing symposium invitations.
- Providing on-site management of the symposium.
- Registering symposium attendees. No additional registration fees for attendance at a satellite symposium may be required of APhA's registered attendees.
Application Process and Deadline
Activity proposals should be submitted using the APhA2014 Satellite Symposia application. The application deadline is December 1, 2013. Applications are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. Applicants will be notified in writing of acceptance of their symposium proposal — with confirmation of assigned date, time slot, and location — no later than December 15, 2013.
All submissions for satellite symposia are subject to review and approval by APhA. Each symposium will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Objectivity, balance, and scientific rigor of the activity; the proposal will not be accepted if it is judged to be promotional rather than educational in nature.
- Relevance to the contemporary practice of pharmacy.
- Timeliness of subject matter.
- Extent to which the activity proposals present a variety of topics; activities that address the same topic area will not be scheduled concurrently.
Satellite symposia are conducted either before or after official APhA education activities. The proposed length of the symposium must not exceed the time frames listed below. APhA does not provide a speaker ready room for satellite symposia speakers. Sponsoring organizations may request their preferred date and time from the following schedule. To avoid topic duplication in scheduling, APhA retains the right to make final scheduling decisions.
|Saturday, March 29, 2014|
6:00 am-8:00 am
|Sunday, March 30, 2014|
6:00 am-8:00 am
6:00 pm-9:00 pm
The fee of $9,500 per satellite symposium includes:
- One meeting room at the APhA2014 conference location.
- Symposium announcement on the APhA2014 website linking to the supporter's website
- Symposium announcement in the APhA2014 Final Program.
- Symposium announcement in the APhA2014 Education Guide.
- One complimentary set of conference preregistrant labels available 3-4 weeks before the meeting.
Note: APhA does not guarantee attendance at symposia and will not refund a sponsor's fee on the basis of attendance.
Notice of cancellation must be received in writing. Sponsoring organizations will be held responsible for 50% of the symposium fee upon cancellation of a confirmed satellite symposium after February 1, 2014.
All promotional materials, including invitational mailers, online invitations, websites, hotel door drops, and signage, must receive APhA approval before distribution or posting. Please allow 10 business days for this process and factor this requirement into your production timeline. Promotional samples should be mailed, faxed, or emailed to the APhA Education Department for approval. Connection to APhA2014 must be indicated on all promotional materials using the following statement: "A satellite symposium held in conjunction with APhA2014."
Certain information is required on all promotional materials to comply with ACPE guidelines. This information includes the following:
- Educational goals and/or specific learning objectives
- Target audience
- Faculty members and their credentials (degree and position)
- Fees/refund information using the following statement: "There is no fee for this activity."
- Schedule of educational activities (including location and time of activity)
- Educational activities (those assigned CEUs) distinguished from non-educational activities (breakfast/dinner, breaks, etc.)
- Amount of credit (contact hours or CEUs)
- ACPE logo, including trademark, and provider statement
- Universal Activity Number(s)
- Activity Type (e.g. knowledge-based activity or application-based activity)
- Full description of requirements for credit (e.g., sign-in sheet, evaluation form)
- Acknowledgment of financial support (if applicable)
- Statement of where, how, and when a Statement of Credit will be issued
Advertising in Annual Meeting News
APhA also offers symposium sponsors the opportunity to advertise in Pharmacy Today Annual Meeting News, the official on-site newspaper of APhA's Annual Meeting and Exposition. Featuring highlights of each day's events, Pharmacy Today Annual Meeting News serves as the main source of up-to-the-minute meeting coverage and is the perfect vehicle for delivering your message to 7,000 attendees. For more information, contact John Loughran at 732-970-0220 or Sima Sherman at 610-529-0322.
Hotel Door Drops
Access meeting attendees by participating in APhA's Door Drop program on Friday night during APhA2014. Through this service, symposia promotional materials are delivered directly to registered attendees' hotel rooms. For more information, contact Tom Marshall at 513-934-3700.
APhA can develop, manage, and execute complete turnkey satellite symposia that are custom-tailored to meet your organization's needs. Using top medical experts and leading researchers and innovators, APhA creates comprehensive educational activities that provide cutting-edge information on pharmacy practice and patient care topics. APhA delivers these symposia activities at APhA2014 as well as at other national and regional meetings. For more information on this and other services provided by APhA's Access Programs, contact Steve Mankofsky at 202-223-7198.